Friday, August 29, 2014

Cricket has arrived!

Cricket was sent via 2-day priority and I anxiously refreshed my tracking information.  The box was marked "hold for pick-up" but we all know how competent postal workers are so when I refreshed the page yesterday morning and saw he was marked "out for delivery" I assumed he would be here with the post.  Well, you know what they say about assuming.  Post came and while my new puffer was sitting at the door waiting for me, Cricket was not.  Naturally, I assumed (there I go assuming again...) that his box had been skipped over and the mailman would be back with him.  I waited and waited but at about 11:30, I went back upstairs to refresh the tracking page.  Apparently he was scanned "ready for pick-up" at 8:19am and it just wasn't on the tracking page until half an hour before the post office closed.  Lovely, huh?

This morning I begged my husband to let me drive him to work so I could go pick up my baby before he was returned to the sender.  He was reluctant but I finally won and drove him to work, only to come home and wait out the slowest hour and a half I think I have ever experienced.  Finally, that magic time (8:30) came and I was out the door, daughter in hand, to go pick up Cricket!  My plan was fool-proof - or so I thought.  I got there and waited for the lights to come on and the doors to open, gave my name and address as well as stated the fact that I was picking up a package.  The guy must have thought I was a nut just rambling on personal details.  He weighed and scanned it, then asked for my ID.  As I pulled it from my wallet, my heart dropped - I still haven't gotten my ID with my married name.  I reluctantly handed him an out-of-state drivers license with the wrong name and address and of course, he said something about it.  Thankfully, my insurance card was enough and I was off with my pink and purple box!

Upon arriving home, I quickly unstrapped my daughter from her car seat and put her in her swing to play.  I grabbed a pair of scissors and tore into the box, making sure I made a short video of doing so for the previous owner as it was her first time shipping and I wanted her to see the other end.  He was sent in a biological specimen box, complete with 1/2" styrofoam.  He was alive and well and when she said she was going to include some IAL, I didn't think I would get an entire leaf!  I broke off a piece and grabbed a Tupperware, off to acclimate my new little friend.

When he was done acclimating and placed in the tank, he kind-of freaked out a bit, but is off exploring now, even though he's breathing rather heavily.  I did a 50% water change, sucking out all the frog waste before I added him and double-dosed some prime.  I also added a hefty bit of moss to his log in hopes the window near the tank will be enough lighting for it.  He has some minor tail damage (he's a nervous fellow) but clean water and IAL will work wonders for that.

Lastly, an obligatory photo of my new little man, Cricket -

No comments:

Post a Comment